Call Vanessa or Felicity +27 76 646 6797
- A wine tour is one of those things that you should experience at least once in your lifetime. Wine tours in Cape Town is the premier spot to do this if you are visiting South Africa. The Wine Route is an absolute must do when in Cape Town. Located in an idyllic and charming area, it has gained international recognition for its wine offerings. The area is diverse and if you are pressed for time, then wine tours in Cape Town are your salvation. Book into one and relax while being taken around to a few wineries gaining momentum in the wine world.
- Book your spot on a tour in advance. Wine tours in Cape Town are a popular activity for tourists to the city and as such they do book up pretty quickly. You would be hard pressed to find an available tour on the morning you want to set out to enjoy some wine tasting. Booking is pretty easy when done online. You would just need to know the date that you would like to do the tour, check for availability, make your payment and be confirmed for that day. On the day in question, you will be picked up from your hotel and whisked away.
- If there will be no designated driver, going with a travel company offering wine tours in Cape Town ensures that you will have a reliable ride back at the end of the day.
- For repeat visitors to wine tours in Cape Town, there is the essence of drinking wine directly from the source which is why they return time and time again. Drinking wine, beginners will find, does not taste as good as it does when you are at a winery. The atmosphere here just elevates the entire taste session.
- Go with a tour company that does wine tours in Cape Town with smaller groups. Any tour is more enjoyable when done with a smaller number of people, and even better when it is just a few of your closest friends or family. It also ensures that you would not have to compete for attention from the guide with a lot of other people and can enjoy the tour at your pace.
- Visit the smaller wineries for a more personalized experience. The larger estates are always jam packed with tourists. It is the boutique wineries and smaller estates that have a lot to offer guests.
- A few wine tastings are included in the tour price. If a particular wine has tickled your fancy, then you can also purchase a bottle to take back home and enjoy at your leisure. Wine tours in Cape Town are ideal to open up yourself to new wines and expand your palette.
- As a beginner, you will not have the in-depth knowledge of a sommelier, and that’s okay. This is why you book into wine tours in Cape Town. Guides and wine owners love giving out their expertise, so take advantage of this during the trip. Learn about the different wine varietals and how to pair wines with food, directly from the source.
- Wine tours in Cape Town are open to everyone, so even if you feel you do not have the prior knowledge, this is not a problem. Our first tip is to let go of your fears and open yourself to a whole new world. Wineries are located away from city life in quaint estates and at least one day of your holiday in Cape Town should be spent in this environment.
- Go with a smaller tour group, so that you may get more individualized attention. Also, share the experience with people close to you, to make memories to last a lifetime.
- Come in comfy clothing, and this extends to footwear as well. A fair bit of walking is required on wine tours in Cape Town, as tours extend from cellars to the vineyards.
- Open up to new wines even if this has not really been to your taste in the past. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that you enjoy many other wine types. This is the perfect opportunity to do so, as you will be in the company of people who are experts in the field and are sure to lead you in the right direction.
- Spitting out wine is totally acceptable during wine tours in Cape Town. Of course guests also have the option of swallowing and enjoying the wine to its fullest. Some people do prefer to swirl the wine in their mouth after sipping, to get an idea of its taste but to not swallow, hence the spitting. The problem lies in not being fully cognitive to get the full scope of the wines throughout the day and the concern of getting inebriated when too much of wine goes down. This is not a concern for driving as wine tours in Cape Town are done with a guide who handle this aspect.
- Have yourself a healthy breakfast and lunch when going for wine tours in Cape Town. This is going to help by absorbing the alcohol. Also remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- The smell and taste of other factors lead to a below par wine tasting session. Perfumes and heavily scented lotions will distract from getting the full smell of the wine. In a similar fashion, breath fresheners and smoking will interfere with the taste of the wine.
- You may be overloaded with all of the aromas you will be subject to during your wine tasting. This can be combated by sniffing your forearm and giving your nose a sort of a clean start when a new wine comes along for tasting.
- There are essentially 4 steps to tasting wine. You will be taken through these steps of being able to taste wine like an expert in detail, during wine tours in Cape Town. Once your glass of wine is handed to you, you would look, smell, swirl and then taste it. This is the crux of wine tasting and over time, with this method you will refine your palate to the various wine types.